Each week, an accomplished published author takes over the YEM Twitter account for Thursday’s Twitter Takeover. Each week, the YA author will answer questions, tell stories, and give advice on our social media. This week author Tiffany Jewell will be taking over our Twitter account.
With the Black Lives Matter movement at the top-of-mind, many parents, educators, and care givers are looking for ways to discuss white supremacy with their kids and teens. In 2020 over 150,000 people bought a copy of This Book Is Anti-Racist and started their anti-racist journey. In July, This Book Is Anti-Racist by Tiffany Jewell debuted at the #1 position on the New York Times bestseller list in the young adult paperback monthly category.
Long-time champions for anti-racism, both the author and illustrator have been thought-leaders in the global discussion on anti-racism and have taken part in countless digital events to provide everyone, especially young readers, with ways to combat racism and create a community that honors everyone. This month, Tiffany Jewell released This Book Is Anti-Racist Journal.
This anti-racist toolkit gives readers space to learn and grow through activities centered around identity, history, family, your universe, disruption, self-care, privilege, art, expression, and much more, including:
- Create a map of you by drawing, collaging, sticking, and painting your many and favorite social and personal identities
- Discover how diverse your universe is by writing down the races and ethnicities of the people in your life
- Design your own buttons that share your beliefs, values, and what you stand for
- Write a letter to your future self to share your dreams and how you are growing into your anti-racism
- Make a plan and be ready for scenarios when you are confronted by racist comments, actions, and policies
- Brainstorm your anti-racist vision of what our communities will look like without racism and how we can get there
“Continue to stay awake, start taking action, and always lean into the work of disrupting racism. Together, we can abolish the system that continues to misuse and abuse power and collectively work for anti-racism.” —Tiffany Jewell